Friday, February 11, 2011

Patience My Pretty

The Girl's favorite phrase to say to me, is: "No Mom, I don't want to do that right now. Here's the plan, I'll do what I want to do first and then I'll do what you want me to do. Okay Mom?"

Which brings me to my thought for today.

I used to think I was patient until I had kids. But now...

Well, I find it's my struggle every single day. I have to BREATHE. Sometimes very deeply. Well, not sometimes....often.

I don't know what it is about kids that makes it so hard to be patient. I mean, I've had boyfriends who required more patience than my own kids do. And yet,

Daily, Hourly...Minute by Minute, I have to breathe.

I used to think I would never make the same mistakes that my parents made. And yet, as I grow up, I realize I'm just as human as they are. And mistakes have and have yet to be made.

I used to think I wasn't worthy of being forgiven. Too many times mistakes were held over my head by others, but most often by myself. Now, in learning to forgive the people I love and seeing forgiveness being given to others, I realize that I am just as worthy as they are.

I used to think I really only wanted a girl and then we had The Girl. And then even though she has kept me humble, I started to think I maybe I really did want a boy too.  Now I have The Girl and The Boy and I'm happy I have one of each.  I also think that this is probably it for us.  I think I would feel the same even if we had two girls or two boys.  I love that I have a boy and a girl, but I think two is the right number for us regardless of gender.

I used to think I liked jeans, but now I find myself in sweats most days.

I used to have time to think...oh those were the days.

I used to think, but all this goes to show that I really don't know much even after all that thinking.

Hmm, there is surely a lesson to be learned here, but I don't want to think anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment