Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Dinner

Easter is our holiday. It's the one we celebrate at our house and make the food for ourselves. I look forward to it every year because ham and lamb-shaped butter are two of my favorite things.  The Chef's family will come to our house on Sunday for dinner and an Easter egg hunt.

This morning I am finalizing my menu. I have no desire to go to the grocery stores later in the week when everyone else is rushing to get their ham. Crowded grocery stores do not make me happy. Not at all. This means I need to get the menu finished so I can do my shopping today and tomorrow.

So far, we're having the Scalloped Potato Gratin I made last year. I can thank Food Network's Tyler Florence for that recipe. I don't even want to think about calories per serving. It's too good to be good for you.





I have yet to decide on the two veggies. I really want to roast asparagus, but as far as I know The Chef, my father-in-law and me are the only ones who eat asparagus.  It's a shame though because asparagus should be its own food group and roasted asparagus is simply divine.  I thought about the old standard green bean casserole, but maybe that's too much since the potato dish is so rich. I've always wanted to cook carrots with the green still on the top because they look so darn cute.

I'm going to make homemade pecan pie this year using The Pioneer Woman's recipes. I have yet to try a recipe from her that wasn't awesome. I saw her make it on a Thanksgiving special and she served it with a whiskey cream sauce. Seriously, I am already drooling. The added plus is that pecan pie is best served the next day so that's one less thing we'll have to do on Sunday.



The other dessert will be carrot cake. I want to cry when I think about the local Honeybaked Ham going under. That carrot cake was absolutely the best. I'm going to do my best to replicate it. 




Do you have traditional Easter recipes or do you change it up from year to year? What is your favorite thing about Easter dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment