Thursday, February 24, 2011

Birthday Party

After much consideration, we've decided to have two separate birthday parties for the kids in May. It just seemed like the best option. That meant I needed to start thinking about a theme for The Girl's party. I figured that was going to take a while, as I'm not exactly a party planner.

Then, a few days ago, I stumbled on the perfect idea.  I was thinking about what kinds of holiday decorations I could get a deal on before May.  Easter is out, since I used Easter stuff to set up her Butterfly Garden party last year. I pretty much missed Valentine's Day discounts already. Then I realized that Mardi Gras is coming up.  Mardi Gras would be perfect. The Girl loves "The Princess & The Frog" which you may or may not know is set in New Orleans at Mardi Gras. I can get beads, masks and all sorts of other decorations on clearance and really make it look festive on the cheap. Regular old laxtex balloons cast around the family room will liven up the space cheaply too!

My idea was further confirmed when I spoke to my cousin this week. It turns out she has a cookbook from the movie with all sorts of cute ideas. Score!

I'm going to make little frog cupcakes (per the cookbook)- smear on some green frosting, top with two green gumdrops, press white chocolate chips into the gumdrops for eyeballs, a little frosting droplet for pupils and there you have it. Cute little froggie cupcakes! (Decorating a whole cake in a manner I would find acceptable is not in my skill set)

Now I just have to think about something to have the kids do and some sort of treat bag type thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment