Monday, October 24, 2011

How Long Has That Sippy Cup Been Sitting There?

"I once found a sippy cup of milk in the play kitchen days after it had gone bad.  At least the child had tried to put it in the fridge -- just not the one with any power to keep it cold."

Been there.  I view unfamiliar sippy cups warily.  If I haven't seen The Boy with that particular sippy at some point during that calendar day, I always fear the worst.  Once, we found a sippy cup that had been missing for a week.  I shook it and heard a sickeningly thick sloshing sound -- the sound of curdled milk being shaken like a rancid maraca.

Incidentally, this also happened to be the sound of me making a very quick decision to immediately dispose of the sippy cup in the trash can in our garage rather than opening that Pandora's box of putrid misery in an attempt to sanitize it.

Think I'm overreacting?  Have you ever scraped out the contents of a sippy cup? I did . . . . once.

So, yes, that particular sippy cup ended its existence prematurely.

It reminded me of a story I overheard from a couple whose baby had a diaper explosion.  They had taken a pair of scissors and physically cut his onesie in half to remove it rather than pulling it over his head.  "There was no way that was going to end well," the dad had concluded.  "We had to cut our losses," the mother added.

What about you?  Have you ever thrown in the towel?

No comments:

Post a Comment